• Spring break begins March 25 through March. 29.

Please, don’t stop the music – November

Move over Drew Brees, ‘cause apparently there’s a brand new group of all-stars here to take your place! That’s right, ladies and gents, One Direction is here to take over all other famous people to become a sort of ‘fame-monopoly.’ Just watch the new One Direction/Drew Brees Pepsi commercial. Even Brees is singing along with One Direction!

It’s truly wonderful to see people enjoying groups that have such an adept skill of song writing. I mean the lyrics in their songs speak for themselves, showing that they are much more than proficient. For example, the song “What Makes You Beautiful” really shows the group’s skill in word-play and mind-games. The boys made the lyrics “You don’t know you’re beautiful/Oh oh/That’s what makes you beautiful,” lyrics that everybody on planet Earth have heard at one point or another.

So, allow me to break this down. The female – or perhaps females – that One Direction speaks of has no idea that she is in fact beautiful, which is what makes her beautiful. However, since 1D is now informing her that she is beautiful, the ignorance of her beauty is now gone, which then makes said girl no longer beautiful. So, the question is asked; is One Direction trying to rid the world of beauty?

This puts me in a place of mental agony. I lie awake at night wondering, “If this once beautiful girl, that was beautiful only due to the fact that she thought she was NOT beautiful, then why would One Direction go about ruining it?!” I’m sorry to place my burden of confusion on the shoulders of my readers, however it must be answered. Plus, the fact that you don’t know the answer is what makes you beautiful.

“What Makes You Beautiful” is not the only song by One Direction.  A newer single, “Live While We’re Young,” released in September from their new album, Take Me Home, has been taking young hearts in the famous 1D heart-death-grip – a grip so lovingly powerful that when one listens to One Direction, it creates a sense of euphoria. Actually, it’s quite dangerous to listen to 1D while driving.

The lyrical geniuses are at it again in “Live While We’re Young.” They write what no one on earth, not even Jay Z, could think about writing in a million years. “Let’s go crazy, crazy, crazy till we see the sun/I know we only met but let’s pretend it’s love/And never, never, never stop for anyone/Tonight let’s get some/And live while we’re young.”

1D must have been spending some time at a few frat houses, ‘cause they are absolute party animals. They aren’t ever going to stop for anyone. They’re also looking to “get some,” which, honestly, I don’t think they would have any problems whatsoever accomplishing (the 1D heart-death-grip is practically a cheat code).

It doesn’t stop there. Their lyrics go on to blow the remaining bits and pieces of your mind that are left after the first part of the song; “Wanna live, wanna live, wanna live/Come on, younnngg/Wanna live, wanna live, wanna live/While we’re young/Wanna live, wanna live, wanna live/Tonight let’s get some/And live while we’re young.”

It doesn’t get much better than that, my readers! I’m not sure how I’m supposed to go about following up such an amazing band next month. So, if you want to see your favorite band written about in the newspaper, feel free to drop off a little slip of paper with your band’s name on it in Mrs. Gillis’ room (302). And remember: don’t let anyone tell you that you’re beautiful, because that would ruin the fact that you are beautiful.