Cold case reopened: Upcoming fall play is a comedic thriller to catch

Catence McPherson

The Rolla High School theatre department is setting the stage for a gruesome scene (a murder scene, to be precise). Students will be able to witness The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 at the following times at the Rolla Middle School auditorium: 7 p.m. on Sept. 29; 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Sept. 30; 2 p.m. on Oct. 1

The intrigue of this particular play is immediately clear. The curtain opens on a cast of characters who, funny enough, are planning to put on a play. Lead character Elsa, played by junior Ella Veo, is trying to assist with a murder case, and with the help of other characters, use a theatrical production to catch a criminal. 

“[In the play] three girls in a chorus line [were] murdered…One of the characters, her name is Elsa [is] working undercover with some people to gather all the cast and all of those people who were directing the show in which the chorus girls got murdered so they can possibly find what they call the ‘Stage Door Slasher,” said Veo. 

Senior Bridget Ragan, an avid play-goer, enjoys not only seeing the production come to life, but also the experience of watching a production with fellow classmates and friends. 

“I love theatre. I love watching theatre more than participating. I feel like some students go to football games to get involved with the student body and see their friends. That’s me with musicals [and plays] because I hang out with my friends. We all get dolled up beforehand and we get to see our friends play on the stage. That’s super nice,” said Ragan.

Similar to Ragan’s sentiment, senior Hayden Renaud who plays Ken de la Maize (the director of the play), appreciates when fellow classmates and friends come to see the drama department’s productions.

“I just think it’s good to support the arts and [performers]. We work really hard on all of the shows and we really appreciate when lots of people we know come and watch us and support us,” said Renaud.

For some students, an added incentive to catch a play is to earn a few bonus points.

“Most [English] teachers give out extra credit. That’s a good motivation if you aren’t a theatre person but [it] definitely helps getting out more, seeing people, [and] meeting new people,” said Ragan.

The value of story-telling isn’t just highly regarded by English teachers. Sitting in the audience of live storytelling offers theater-goers an enjoyable night of entertainment in the company of their friends. 

“Really, theatre is about a community telling a story together. Whenever you see certain plays, whether it’s funny, sad, musical or not, if you go there…you’re able to recognize that they’re telling you a story,” said Veo.

Get your tickets at bit.ly/RPSDRAMATIX