“You don’t have to go through these troubles alone,” Bartelsmeyer benefit brings outpouring of support

Tyler Jones
Choir members perform at benefit dinner and auction for Mr. Bartelsmeyer

The Rolla community streamed through the high school cafeteria doors on Friday, April 12 to fill the space with live music and skits, donations, and most of all, an outpouring of love and support for choir teacher Jason Bartelsmeyer. “Mr. B,” as his students affectionately call him, serves as the junior high and high school choir director while also keeping up with the many challenges of his ongoing cancer treatment.

At the National Honor Society spring ceremony on April 11, graduating NHS members named Bartelsmeyer Teacher of the Year – a testament to the scope of his influence on the school. From assisting with marching band drills during dusk-hour rehearsals to the choral coaching he offers during musical production, Bartelsmeyer is a champion for all of the district’s performing arts programs. 

“To know him is a blessing,” senior choir member Sarah Parker said.

Parker’s sentiment is the singular view of all who have contributed to Mr. B’s benefit. Math teacher Christy Green felt called to organize the fundraising event for her friend and colleague, so she and coordinators Cara Hanlin and Kris Wood set to work contacting local businesses and arranging a spaghetti dinner and auction. Student programs and many staff volunteers stepped in to make the night happen. 

“I truly believe that we need to take care of each other in this world,” said Green. “I have experienced the hardships of cancer with several individuals in my life. I wanted Mr. B to feel the support that is needed to fight cancer and help relieve some of the stress that he is under.”

Taking care of others is just what Mr. B is known for.

“He gives the choir so much,” junior choir member Ella Veo said. “He puts in a lot of effort, a lot of his time and a lot of money to be able to give us a good choir experience, and I think it’s only right that we give that back to him.” 

Other choir members echoed that Mr. B’s room is a “safe space” where it’s okay to be the new kid or passionate about more than one program, to be off-pitch or even unprepared. Sophomore Tori Haffer has been a student of Bartelsmeyer’s since seventh grade, and she appreciates his nurturing approach in the classroom.

“He is dedicated to his students. He pushes us, not to a breaking point, but if we’re nervous, he’ll make sure we’re comfortable,” said Haffer. 

In planning the event, Green heard many Mr. B stories from his students.

“One of the stories that really touched me was that when the choir would go to events, Mr. B would always be at the back of the line waiting to see what students didn’t have money to buy food and he would pay for them to eat. Teachers and sponsors don’t have to do that but it shows the type of person he is, always watching out for others and providing whatever help he can,” Green said.

Assistant principal Stephanie Grisham has worked with Bartelsmeyer for about 20 years and marks his compassion for students as a source of their affection.

“He has a great bond with a lot of his students [who] came through at his benefit,” Grisham said. “There were so many returning students that came as well as his current students. So you can totally see the love for Mr. B from his kiddos. He’s truly very loved and appreciated.”

Former students like Brody Light who stepped up to the microphone to serenade the crowd and Kelly Brown who served as the evening’s auctioneer joined current choir and drama students to offer their talents and time. Meanwhile, auction bids rolled in.

“It was such an awesome experience watching everyone support a member of this teaching family. The community really showed up and let Mr. B know just how much they care about him,” Green said. “If I have to pick one [key] moment it would be when I was given the estimated total collected, $9000 less than what the final total ended up being, and I literally fell to the floor. I had a goal of $10,000 in mind and it was so much bigger than that.” 

On April 16, organizers announced a total of over $24,000 raised from the benefit dinner and auction, with money still being collected for t-shirts. Bartelsmeyer, who briefly spoke during the fundraiser, shared that initially he wanted to keep his diagnosis private, but since confiding in his “lunch buddies,” he has been enveloped in the community’s response that “Friends Don’t Let Friends Fight Cancer Alone.” 

“I was so overwhelmed at the amount of raffle items that were donated to the cause. I was so thrilled choir and drama students came up with an almost two hour performance set list,” said Bartelsmeyer. “It is so hard to be out of the classroom [for appointments] but my accompanist has been so great to run rehearsals in my absence. I owe Mr. Randy a great amount of thanks.”

Bartelsmeyer holds the high school as a place of comfort; each hug, card, and smile serves as a reminder that he has a support system.

“I have learned so much in the last few years of my treatment. All of us can go through a difficult battle in life. It is so important to remember that you don’t have to go through these troubles alone,” said Bartelsmeyer.

• Bartelsmeyer receives proceeds of over $24,000 from benefit

• Choir members perform at benefit dinner and auction for Mr. Bartelsmeyer

• Choir teacher Jason Bartelsmeyer named 2024 National Honor Society Teacher of the Year

Interviewing by Lou Ahl and Sarah Skeeters, Transcriptions by Abby Johnson and Olivia Johnson