• Finals schedule at this link: bit.ly/finalschedule23-24
  • The last day of school is Tuesday, May 21, dismissal at 1:00.

Assistant principal Sheri Norman retiring this school year

Garrett Wilson

The end of the school year at Rolla High School is always busy for many different reasons, but especially for this year’s retiring staff, including assistant principal Sheri Norman. As a true testament to her determination, Mrs. Norman was unfortunately caught up supervising EOC testing, and an interview could not be scheduled. Instead, some of her colleagues shared their feelings and memories about their time with Mrs. Norman.
Norman is also the principal for students with last names A through G. According to Michelle Sharpes, who works in the attendance office with Norman, her compassion for the students is an inspiration for those around her.
“She is very caring, affectionate, and she loves her students. It’s not just the A through G students, it’s all the students,” Sharpes said.
Assistant principal Josh Smith echoes Sharpes’ thoughts about Norman.
“She is always trying to find ways to help our kids and just keeps things enjoyable at work,” Smith said.
Norman is also the principal for summer school. According to English teacher Kenny Hohe, Norman’s uplifting spirit is a motivating force for students and teachers.
“As the Principal for Summer School the last 5 years she has been wonderful at motivating students, keeping a positive and educationally based environment, while also keeping school enjoyable with a great atmosphere. Summer school can be a very positive experience and with a leader like Mrs. Norman, many of our students have had some of their best educational experiences,” Hohe said.
Along with that, Norman is the supervisor for the English, practical arts programs, and the choir and band departments. This means she is the principal who watches classes, gives professional evaluations, and is also the main contact if an issue or concern arises.
Although her more professional responsibilities are very necessary and helpful, according to English teacher Star Hargis, Norman’s genuine personality shines through even in mundane conversations.
“I love having conversations with her about bands and artists and concerts that she goes to. She has a great love of life, and so that’s why I like talking to her about those things because they’re outside of the school. They give me more insight into who she is as a person and her personality and I love that she allows those things to shine through and they become a part of how she does her job,” Hargis said.
Although her time at RHS is coming to an end, Norman has been a source of comfort and inspiration for her colleagues and students alike. Her drive and compassion for her job and the people she encounters is admirable.