Limewire Shut Down

Back in the year 2000, a Peer-To-Peer file sharing site by the name of Limewire was launched and began a messy ten year journey that would lead to its sudden death almost two months ago. The company has had more than a few extreme impacts on the music industry, its artists, and its consumers since its launch at the turn of the century.

Despite a sudden flair in opinions since the shut down, the legality of the massive file-sharing program has been debated since its birth. Though the company claims that the program was provided as a way of sharing legally, record companies across the globe are pointing fingers in accusations that Limewire has been allowing the illegal sharing of copyrighted materials such as music and movies while completely ignoring the consequences it has had on these industries. With the recent close up, most consumers have come out and stated their thoughts on it personally, and it’s no surprise to find that almost none agree completely.

“The recording studios are trying to maintain a dying business model. They want to keep doing things the way they have always done things. I don’t believe that Limewire or other file sharing sites affect the recording studios in the present. They do however pose a threat to the way the studios operate their businesses, and that is why they are so aggressive at shutting them down,” band booster Brian Merriman said.

“The consumers are making it impossible for musicians to make music for a living because they can’t make any money from it. The publishing companies spend so much money on lawyers, court fees, and fighting this problem of people stealing that there’s no money left for the musicians. Honestly? That’s the consumers fault,” assistant band director Craig French said.

Now it’s easy to assume that each individual’s side can be easily determined by examining their personal lives and needs. Musicians are naturally going to take the industry’s side while penniless students pout about Limewire’s demise. But in reality, it all depends upon experiences, opinion, and circumstances. Even two men that held the same job position here at RHS can’t agree on everything!

“I think it is a necessary evil. As a working musician, I can see and feel the impact it has on a musician’s income. However, the true goal of music is to share it with others… many others. What better way than to do it for free? Bach, Beethoven and the boys all wanted the largest audience available for their performances… seems like a worldwide digital audience would be just what old Mozart dreamt of!” former assistant band director Will Zwikelmaier said.

“I think that when you buy a piece of music that is copyrighted you are bound to the law. The law states that you are allowed to make one copy for your own personnel archives—it does not say that you’re free to go hand it out to anybody you want. You can make a case that the consumer has rights, but the consumer does not have the right to trample over the rights of anyone else,” French said.

Another concern about the use of any P2P file sharing programs is the safety of the consumer’s computer and other hardware. Instant access into the files of any computer in the world provides a vengeful breeding ground for viruses.

“As someone that builds and repairs computers for friends and family, I have encouraged them to avoid file sharing sites for years,” Merriman said, “I say this after many years of using them myself. The malware is too prevalent and too good even for an effective anti-virus program. When you expose yourself that often, something is going to get through eventually.”

With all this talk of laws and regulations, many forget the most dedicated consumers of Limewire—teenagers. Students not only at RHS, but around the world are almost always eager to prompt that an economy that makes part-time jobs quite scarce has interfered with their budgets. To put it simply—they’re broke.

“I am a musician and honestly, I’m sorry, but I’m not into music for profits. Music is a form of expression and passion. It’s supposed to be about the music and getting out your personal feelings. If you are doing it for the money and for fame you are doing it for all the wrong reasons,” senior Tristan Dunlap said.

“I think it’s no different than someone burning a CD or DVD for someone. It’s just sharing, which is what the world wants, correct?” junior Josh Burbey said.

However, as stated previously, it’s not always as clear as to which side a demographic or specifically-linked group will take. RHS students stand just as equally divided as their mentors.

“After all of the recent chaos with Limewire, I honestly wish that I had never used it. While using it I didn’t realize all the bad effects it had,” junior Preston Hodapp said.

Even when it comes down to the actual court case against this massive company, circumstances seem to be a leading topic for everyone. Though most musical consumers lean either left or right, the majority of the ones that truly know their facts seem to agree that it’s a matter of situation.

“I think that the overall effect has not been as poor as is popular to believe. For the most part, those that buy music, still buy music. Those that illegally share wouldn’t normally shell out the clams for the album anyway. I think the advent of file sharing has actually helped the below mainstream musical crowd to reach a wider audience, and in some cases, boost live performance crowds. Plus, we can’t tell people what to do with their property,” Zwikelmaier said, “However, morally speaking, if they want to see these musicians continue making the music they enjoy listening to…they should probably fork over the dough for the track.”

“If I’m asked my stance on it, I say that I follow the law. However, I think that the law is outdated,” French said, “The copyright law that we still operate under is what is known as the Copyright Act of 1976. They did make some new rules and changes to it around 2000 with Congress passing acts that dealt with the internet a little bit I do believe, but the bottom line is that because of the internet, there are so many gray areas that the law does not specifically address. Those are all left to interpretation, and everyone’s opinion is going to be affecting that interpretation.”

“The music studios and movie industry would tell you that you don’t own the music. When you buy a CD or DVD you purchase the rights to play that music/movie for your own enjoyment,” Merriman said, “According to those studios, you actually violate their rights if you play that CD/DVD to a public audience. You do not purchase performance rights to that media. The courts are still debating whether you even have the right to make a digital copy of a DVD for your own use. The studios say you do not, and that is the way the Digital Millennium Copyright Act was written.”

When all is said and done, the question still remains—what does the future hold concerning P2P sharing sights? Will the fall of Limewire shake consumers awake to a broken music industry that they personally drilled into the ground, or is this simply another small battle in the war against illegal file sharing?

“Limewire is just the next Napster. Another site will soon be along to take its place, and then it will get shut down and then there will be another,” Merriman said.

“This time next year you will be interviewing me about the demise of Lemoncable!” Zwikelmaier said.

To read the court case filed against Limewire, please visit the following link: http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2010/05/limewireruling.pdf