Government Shutdown

It’s like Déjà Vu; democratic president, republican congress, arguing over irrelevant issues that ultimately will determine the financial future of our country – blah, blah, blah. But really? The politicians that we, as Americans, take time out of our lives to elect can’t agree on a simple number, resulting in potentially millions of civilian government workers, government workers, and thousands and thousands of soldiers (most of which are deployed), out of work or without paychecks.

While the happening of a shutdown seems unlikely, the effects of one wouldn’t be felt immediately.  But during the shutdown of 95-96, the immediate effects were felt one of the faculty here at RHS.

“My husband has been an employee of the USGS since 1990. When the government shut down in the mid-90s, we had a small child and were without my husband’s paycheck. As it was, they eventually received their back pay, but it was still a difficult time,” Kris Wood, the Financial Secretary of RHS said.

Perhaps the most detrimental effect, if the shutdown should occur, will be on the U.S. military forces overseas. While all military personnel would be without pay, the ones risking their lives every day would also be a victim of this.

“It will impact my family immensely, my husband won’t get a paycheck until the shutdown is resolved and the government begins operation again. On April 15th, he will receive a paycheck of April 1st through 8th. The rest of the month he will have to go without a paycheck. As he’s in deployed status, he will still have to go to work. So he is in Iraq, serving our country and putting his life on the line without paycheck,” Tammy Lueck, the German instructor at RHS said.

People have many opinions about the outcome of a shutdown. While some believe there would be no resolution at all.

“I don’t think it will resolve anything. I think it is actually over idealistic issues and not financial issues. I believe that can solve those problems without impacting the American people, at least their financial well being,” Lueck said.