Top 5 Discipline problems at RHS, solved?

There are several discipline problems around the school, but there are five that surpass the rest.

“The top five discipline problems are being tardy to first hour, failed to attend Saturday school, cell phone usage, truancy, and lack of effort,” math teacher and A+ Coordinator Stephanie Grisham said.

Several reasons may cause these discipline problems, and some are unknown.

“I’m not really sure why so many students are tardy to first hour. Maybe it’s not having a parent at home or getting up late. Sometimes they have to take siblings to a different school and we often see students coming in late with drinks. That could be the reason they’re late,” Grisham said.

Cell phones are the third reason for disciplinary actions. Students knowingly use them awaiting the consequences that are sure to follow.

“Students are trying to get away with using them when they know it’s wrong,” Grisham said.

The school is trying a new approach to the usual Saturday school.

“We’re going to have them go after school and go over the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens book. This should cover respect and responsibility,” Grisham said.

Truancy is the fourth reason students get into trouble. Students try to leave the school to push their boundaries or fail to sign in correctly after missing part of the day.

“They try to push the limits to see what they can get away with.” Grisham said. 

Lack of effort is the fifth reason students are disciplined.

“Maybe they don’t have motivation. I’m a math teacher and I know when students are absent for several days they begin to fall behind and don’t have the motivation to get caught up. Even missing a few days, it becomes difficult to catch up,” Grisham said.

Many students think they should be allowed to use their phones between classes and at lunch.

“Waynesville is trying to see how students are with using phones at lunch. From an academic standpoint, I fear students would be more likely to text answers. More time with access to phones opens the window for more cyber bullying too. I’m not for it, personally,” Grisham said.

You would think with the addition of a warning bell, students would be able to make it to class on time.

“We’ve tried a warning bell several years back, but it was confusing because it was the same tone. Students and teachers both didn’t know if classes were to begin or not. Tardies aren’t a major problem other than first hour because the students aren’t even in the building.” Grisham said.

The new detention seminar may change the discipline issues at the school.

“The new seminar is a teaching opportunity. They learn responsibly, organization, and relationships,” assistant principal Amy Herrman said.

Rather than detention, the students may have the opportunity to go to the seminar. It may only be a one-time thing, but it also may be repeated.

“It depends on if their actions were a different event. If it was, then they may go back to the seminar potentially more than once. The first time usually is to encourage change,” Herrman said.

The detention seminar will not replace Saturday school though.

“It will be Thursday after school and if a student has six hours of Saturday school, they may have the opportunity to take the seminar with their remaining two hours,” Herrman said.