RHS Review opens a new avenue for student expression

There are numerous forms of media in the high school, with the daily announcements, ECHO and talking with friends, it can be hard to ignore an event or trend in the school. Regardless of this, there is another student run news organization in the school. They are RHS Review.

RHS Review is a student run news team. They release a new broadcast every two weeks, with each episode being around ten minutes. Their episodes are available on the My Big Campus Student Bulldog page, on Local Channel 16 and the high school’s advisory teachers are encouraged to show the broadcasts as well.

RHS Review consists of seven seniors who are enrolled in Janiece Mulia’s Video Production class. Each student is allowed their own freedom to do a story over whatever they wish.

“Everyone is more or less in charge of obtaining, filming and editing their content. But formally, Krystal is our head editor so after everyone has edited and polished their segments they submit it to her. There are seven people: Sarah G. Jones, Kadie Clark, Nathan Aaron, Krystal O’Connor, Gavin Lewis, John Baldwin and Charles Skyles. John Baldwin does a questions skit every episode, Charles; Sarah and Kadie each do their own thing; Gavin has been editor in the past, which we changed at semester to give someone else a chance, but now he mostly focuses on his spoofs which sometimes don’t make the final cut and Nathan Aaron does the Senior Spotlight,” Mulia said.

Although advisory teachers are encouraged to show every episode, this is not always the case.

“I would say that the program is really under the radar right now. It would grow a lot if advisory teachers would start showing it to their kids, which they should really start doing because we’re cool,” Krystal O’Connor, the chief editor of RHS Review, said.

The class system is fairly unique, as it is not really a class. The students in RHS Review are simply the seniors in Mulia’s Video Production classes.

“You take the program as video production if you are a senior. If you are not a senior then you do regular video production stuff but if you are a senior then you get to be on RHS Review,” Staff member Kadie Clark said.

The program probably is entitled to more popularity, as similar programs are certainly popular in other high schools.

“A program like that is pretty common for a school our size. We are at the edge of what we could be; a lot of schools our size use their own studios and have better cameras and equipment than we do. I know Waynesville has one. With lots of schools it goes along with what we have as the announcements and is daily. We’re not there yet but we’re getting there. Last year we only had three people on staff and released once a month, but now we have seven and release every two weeks. Hopefully we’ll be even bigger and better next year,” Mulia said.

Another neat facet of the program is that it allows students the ability to get a feel for what their planned careers wil. be like.

“I did it because I want to grow up to be a news anchor so I talked to Ms. Mulia and it sounded really great so I took it,” Sarah G. Jones, staff member and anchor, said.

Although the program might not be as notorious as ECHO or the announcements due to what could be seen as a lack of serious support, that is far from the case.

“The administration and school administrators are great and very supportive of us. Let’s be honest, we don’t generate income and we’re still a new program. We’re not band or a sports team. Ideally I would love for us to have our own studio, but at the very least some state of the art cameras would be wonderful. Right now our filmers Nathan and Gavin bring in their own cameras because the ones we have just aren’t as good, but they’ll be gone next year so we won’t be able to produce as high quality stuff. I don’t want to just complain though; that doesn’t reflect our situation. For example, our computers are awesome because they are actually made for editing; they are much better than the ones we have at the Junior High,” Mulia said. “We are a classroom with five computers and a green screen. We need a couch,” John Baldwin, staff member, said.

The members of RHS Review do not see themselves as competitors of ECHO and other media outlets, but rather, see themselves as contributing to these organizations as well as their own.

“Yeah, I’d say partners because we can cover all the same stuff but I would say we add a new dimension to it; it’s like the difference between reading a book and watching a move. ECHO is a newspaper and we’re a news broadcast. We also have some skits and fluff, like John’s stuff,” O’Connor said.