Rolla Public Schools Board of Education Welcomes New Student Representative

On January 11, 2024 the Rolla Public Schools Board of Education swore in Maria Polizzi, who was elected by the Rolla High School student body, to serve as Student Representative to the Board of Education until December of 2025. As a Student Representative Polizzi acts as a liaison between the student body and the RPS Board of Education to advocate for student feedback and opinions. 

“My role in the school is to be an advocate for students and a sounding board for student issues that we face. Outside of school, I am tasked with presenting upcoming events and happenings in the different buildings in our district to the board,” explained Polizzi.

The role of Student Representative to the Board of Education piqued Polizzi’s interest because of her passion for advocating, which ultimately garnered a lot of support for her during the election. 

“I have always enjoyed discussing and advocating for different issues, so when I heard that this was a position that was available to high school students, I was very interested. It is a running joke between my friends that I am the politician of the group, with my rambling speeches at lunch, so, I had lots of support when I decided to run,” said Polizzi.

As Polizzi’s term begins, she hopes that as the new Student Representative she can provide a voice for the student body and facilitate constructive communication between the student body and the Board of Education as well as the greater community.

“Some goals of mine include maintaining effective communication between the students and the school board, and making sure that the board and the general public gets a well rounded view of student life,” said Polizzi.

With these goals in mind, Polizzi is eager to serve as Student Representative and grateful for the opportunity.

“I am very excited for what this year holds, and I am very thankful for all of the people who helped make this happen,” said Polizzi.