• Spring break begins March 25 through March. 29.

PDA: Taking it too far?

It is understandable that couples want to express their feelings for each other during school hours by holding hands or giving their significant other a small peck, but there should be a limit to the amount of affection shown.

I am sure that many people have experienced that awkward moment walking down the hall and suddenly finding themselves trapped with the love birds in the corner, oblivious to the fact that they are in a high school setting. As soon as a student spots the pair, eyes are quickly diverted to the ground as they step quietly to the nearest exit so they do not have to witness the sucking of faces taking place uncomfortably close. Then again, it seems that nothing could remove them from their romantic moment in a beautiful setting of cement walls right next to an overflowing trash can.

What is it about high school that makes couples feel as though it’s the perfect place to show their affections in a flow of people that would probably prefer not to witness the making of new teenage parents? I don’t turn the corner in the child’s toy section of Walmart to find young lovers making out, or go into a restaurant to see the same scene. Most people wouldn’t act like this in a public place with adults around, so refrain from PDA in a public place filled with teenagers.  Nobody wants to see this at school, especially teachers. Everybody knows the couple cannot live without each other, as expressed the night before on facebook; save these moments for an appropriate place.

The next time romantic couples feel the urge to go to that dimly lit stairwell, give each other a small kiss on the cheek and go on to class.