Generation…Why?

Generation Y is interesting, but complicated!  There appears to be many conflicting opinions about our generation.  Some say we are optimistic and driven to achieve, while others say we are impatient and skeptical.  The Y Generation is also known as the Why Generation, because we are always questioning.  Our generation is the most technologically advanced generation ever, but estimates are that we will spend 23 years of our lives on the internet!  We watch less TV, use less alcohol and fewer drugs than previous generations.  However, we can be vicious, as indicated by the new term “cyberbullying”.   The events of 9/11 have made our generation more aware of world problems, and some say more conservative.

Rolla High School appears to reflect these national trends, especially those associated with technology.  RHS students are into Facebook, with most students having several hundred FB Friends. At that rate, we may spend more than 23 years of our lives on the internet!  Fortunately, no cases of   “cyberbullying” have been reported. We may watch less TV, but with so many popular programs being streamed online, RHS students may still spend a large amount of time watching television programs through a different medium.  Regardless of our addiction to technology, RHS students appear to be driven to achieve as reflected by our graduation rate of 88.1% in 2010, which is higher than the state and national average. 

Our generation should continue to ask why…Why are so many people hungry in this world? Why haven’t we found a cure for cancer yet? Why are our landfills still filling up?  By asking ourselves the questions, we’re more likely to find the answers.  Generation Y could be a catalyst to change the world!