Staff Editorial: Is Topix ruining us?

The Internet is perhaps the most significant invention of the last thirty years. It’s the most diverse and accessible source of information and communication. But the Internet also provides an outlet for the sad and unfulfilled to express their angry opinions in complete anonymity. This anonymity seems to give people who post a sense of invincibility – as if being unknown gives them the confidence they could never muster without the disguise of an indistinguishable screen-name. It also seems that these people use their namelessness to act like complete jerks. They are rude, offensive, and often vulgar. They comment as if their harsh remark is going to make some sort of impact. But, name one person who would post this kind of commentary under their actual name – yeah, it’s pretty rare. No one wants to get flack for their opinion; no one wants to be called out for what they say. So they remain nameless and continue to post mean things about other people just to make their sad lives seem a little less empty.   

One of the most poignant examples of this phenomenon is Topix, a forum initially created for the people of a town to discuss upcoming events and things to do. In our little town, however, it is being used as a platform for the cruel and unhappy to voice their opinions on the lives of other people. It’s actually kind of disgusting. Like, I get physically ill when I see familiar names and watch as the anonymous comments pour in like some kind of insult free-for-all. What is wrong with people? Have they honestly nothing better to do? This definitely wasn’t what the site was intended for, and yet, that’s how it’s being used. It’s sad and just plain gross. People need to stop posing rumors – it’s not their place to comment on anybody else’s life. And being anonymous doesn’t give you any more of a right. In fact, it gives you even less of a right. Those kinds of people are nothing but cowards who have been taught to hate themselves. If it wasn’t so awful, it might actually be kind of funny. But the words these people use are damaging and unforgiving. God forbid anyone be nice. How sad it is that mean words have become inescapable? Acting anonymously does not make you invincible; it just makes you a jerk.