Apathy stops school spirit

The beginning of school has come, and as the seniors may fondly recall, this has usually also meant the beginning of football season, and of course, the Kick-off dance. With announcements buzzing over the speakers in Pride time saying where you can get your tickets and t-shirts, it has become a bit of a back-to-school tradition, but not this year. This year, both the Kick-Off Dance, and spring’s Shamrock-n-Roll have been called off, due to lack of student involvement. Juniors may remember the dances from last year, but sophomores will not get the chance to attend the customary first dance of the year, and they may never get the chance to if we don’t step things up a bit. Students don’t seem to want to get involved in school activities, and this lack of involvement sometimes results in activities being cut altogether.

The internet, namely social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, have ensured that students can stay connected and interact with friends and peers, but without actually having to be together. However, what is that doing to actual relationships? Having an online “friendship” cannot compare to the relationships that can be formed when people actually spend time with one another, and get to know a person through some old-fashioned ways like talking and hanging out…or going to a school dance. It isn’t just about students going to school dances, it’s about students getting involved in the school, having a bit of school spirit, and connecting with peers – peers from all classes.

This is high school, and while it may be a bit daunting for some, we are all here, and this is an adventure we get to experience together. Don’t blow off things like dances, or other school events in favor of spending an evening with Netflix. Get out and spend an hour or two amidst the company of your peers, and enjoy yourselves. Sophomores, go out and get to know the school and your upperclassmen develop relationships with them, and become a role model for classes under you. One day you’ll be the graduating class, and you don’t want to look back at your time and realize that you had a pretty dull and unmemorable time in high school. Juniors and seniors? Don’t sit back claiming that the dances are “boring” or proclaim you’re not going to other events. Others will follow your lead, and where does that leave RHS? At the bottom of a spiritless pit. Each graduating class wants to look back and remember the camaraderie that they shared with their peers during a game, or technical glitch at a dance. This year, step it up a bit, get some school spirit, attend a dance. Involve yourself in the school by helping with or going to events. Become a part of the school, and make this year one to remember.