Be aware, accepting every day

Over the past several years, I have had the privilege of participating in Acceptance Awareness Day. It is a program implemented by Rolla Middle School, and is held on the last Friday in September every year. Speakers from within the community are invited to share their personal stories about disabilities, disorders and how we are all differently-abled with the fifth and sixth graders. I have had the opportunity to speak to, and hopefully increase the understanding and awareness of, the middle school students.

According to Wikipedia, “Cerebral palsy, or CP, is a group of non-progressive, non-contagious motor conditions that cause physical disability in human development, chiefly in the various areas of body movement.”  To me, it’s just the way I was born.  I was born very prematurely (I only weighed 2 lbs 3 ounces.)   One of the results of the extreme prematurity was CP.

CP can impact a person in a variety of ways.  In fact, it impacts each person a little differently.  Some people who have CP have difficulty walking, while others have difficulty swallowing or even breathing.  I have trouble with walking, balance, and writing.

CP makes my life a little more challenging than the average teen, but we are really more alike than different.  I love listening to music, shopping and going to movies. I occasionally get in trouble for arguing with my parents.  I enjoy swimming in the ocean and exploring the mountains. I might need a little extra help, but I find a way to do many of the same things other teens do.   I even went whitewater rafting once.

One major difference between other teens and myself is how we spend our free time. I’ve had 11 surgeries so far, so visiting hospitals is almost my hobby.  Other teens go to the gym to work out, while I go to physical therapy three times a week. I work with a physical therapist named Tracy on Mondays and spend an hour on Thursday mornings in the Centre’s pool with a therapist named Bart.  He makes me work on walking and bending my knee. Then I do another session after school wherever I can fit it in.  During my last surgery in August, the doctor ran a cable from my kneecap to my tibia, so I’m sure I’ll set off the metal detectors the next time I’m at an airport.

Like many other seniors, I’ve recently spent several weekends visiting colleges.  Unlike other seniors, the accessibility of the campus will be one of the biggest factors in my decision.  CP may make it difficult for me to do certain things, but it will not prevent me from obtaining a college degree and pursuing a career.  CP is a part of me, but it will never define me.