Letter from the editor: December

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Honestly though, I’m never happier than this lovely month between Thanksgiving and Christmas. There’s Christmas lights, Christmas trees, Christmas albums, shopping trips, online shopping, window shopping, surprises, candy, sometimes there’s snow… The list can just go on and on and on. But, while all of those things are good and wonderful, there’s one thing I absolutely hate about this time of year: trying to find the perfect gift for your friends, family and significant other (or your cats for some of you).

Getting presents for your friends is usually pretty easy. You know them better than you know anyone else and know for certain what they do and do not like. However, if they’re one of those people that are a perfectionist, getting gifts can turn an easy breezy task to a nightmare. But it’s like that when getting a gift for any perfectionist whether it is your friend, parent, sibling, significant other or cat.

Family is the next trickiest… Or at least it is for me. Ever get tired of buying your mom the latest and greatest kitchen gadget? I mean, she does do things outside the kitchen of course, unless she’s a chef or something of the like. Or what about dad? Tools are super boring to shop for, and if you’re one of those people who gets their dad ties three times a year, (Christmas, his birthday and Father’s Day) just stahp.

So what do you get those pesky parents? How about a coupon book full of chores that you hate to do, but would make their lives easier. Like for dad’s, you could give him a coupon for warming his car up for him on those frosty winter mornings for a week, or maybe a coupon to help take your Christmas lights down, (unless you’re one of those families that keeps their lights up year round..) just an example. For your mom’s coupon, offer to help cook the meal after Christmas dinner. She probably spent the entire day before cooking so a little break would be greatly appreciated.

If the coupon book isn’t your thing, no biggie. There’s tons of stuff that you could buy your parents. I know my mom always appreciates some Bath and Body Works, or stuff of that nature. My dad… flannels are his thing. And that’s kind of like a present for me too, because as I write this to you, I’m wearing his flannel shirt that I probably got him years ago. Whatever you get your parents, they’re going to love it because you took the time and got it for them, you put the thought into the gift, and that’s what they really want.

If only everyone was that easy to buy gifts for. Those irksome perfectionists are bad enough to deal with, but when they’re your cuddle buddy, it’s a thousand times worse.  If you mess this present up, they could hold it over your head for the rest of your life. Only mean people would do that, but if that’s what you like, your choice. So, how do you pick something out for them that’s completely and utterly 100 percent perfect? Find something that they mentioned once or twice, and find something connected to that. Or, if they really like a show or a band, get them some sort of memorabilia and they’ll love it. Or, just browse various websites that sell a huge variety of things like amazon.com, ebay.com or my favorite, etsy.com. Eventually you’ll find something that way, but it’s a super stressful way to pick out a gift.

Cats, rats and puppy dogs are easy to shop for. Get them a lovely Christmas sweater, a toy and some treats and they’ll be your BFFs all break.

Frankly though, if you still haven’t gotten your family, friends, cats and significant others their gifts, if you were planning on getting them anything, I suggest getting it today. There will be slim pickins, but that’s what you get for waiting so long.  If you want to order stuff online today, I think you still have time, you just have to pay out the wazoo for 1-2 day shipping. Lovely.

To those of you who have your holiday shopping done, after finals today, go home and relax. Take a nap. Eat some Christmas sweets and gain 20 pounds over break. Try to sleep eight hours a day, you won’t get to once we come back, have a lovely Christmas, and a fun New Year too.