Staff Ed: high-school, or Clint Eastwood movie?

The Sandy Hook massacre was the most devastating and tragic events of the recent years.  This shooting, that involved the killing of 20 kindergarteners and several faculty members, has recently sparked a debate that is unbearable to sit back and listen to. Following the Sandy Hook massacre, the NRA has suggested that teachers should be armed with guns in order to combat intruders. This suggestion has been taken seriously by some politicians, schools, and teachers. Is it even possible to imagine teachers as armed guards? Can anyone picture Mrs. Hargis getting into a firefight with an armed intruder? Or how about Mr. Ray pulling out his gat when he feels threatened by a student? It’s difficult to think about how different school would be with guns constantly involved. This would literally change everything that has to do with school. It would add so much more stress to the job of teaching if the teacher had to constantly worry about a firearm in the classroom. Not all teachers are going to be strong enough to overpower someone trying to take a firearm from them. Not to mention the question of whether or not a teacher could take a life.

There are far too many unpredictable factors that guns just don’t solve. It’s obvious that people pushing for this have other agendas in mind. Guns are not the solution to everything, and we can’t just make crime go away by adding guns to the equation. Guns are the problem.

Assault rifles are readily available to the general population, with the general population being non-felons. People who snap and cause these massacres often don’t seem to be so unstable, which makes them near impossible to weed out. Which leaves the only option to be gun control. Before everyone brings out the cliché arguments and gets offended about their rights, take a minute to think about what’s more important. America’s second amendment right, that some believe allows them to own rifles with the ability to kill 30 people without reloading, or the lives of Americans.

No one with any sense complains about the government making you wear your seat belt. Why should we stop the government from making us own weapons made to kill animals, and not people? These horrendous massacres are not God trying to tell us we’re being punished. If anything, he’s telling us to stop being unreasonable and take away the assault rifles.

In no way am I saying that limiting these guns will stop shootings completely. I am saying the government should do everything in its power to stop them from happening. If nothing else, magazines should be limited. There’s no reason an ordinary citizen should need a 30 round magazine in their rifle.