• The last day of school is Tuesday, May 21, dismissal at 1:00.

Rhs Athletes pursuing the dreams of playing sports at the collegiate level

I [insert name] have decided to take my game to [insert college here]. These words are what most athletes dream about getting to say on ESPN during a big selection show. So even if they aren’t signing with a Division 1-A school, making the decision to play sports in college is a big decision in a student’s life. Many athletes don’t go straight to a four college; they spend at least a year or two a junior or community college as prep for the D-1 competition.

“Lewis and Clark is only a two year school. So the fact that I will have to choose another school is in my mind. On the other hand, the benefits from a two year school are higher than a four year school because is gives me two more years to improve my academics, soccer skills, and my chances to play soccer at a four year school,” senior Jason Howard.

With a college right here in town, there is a place close to home where athletes can take their games. RHS senior running back Jonny Canhos signed a full ride scholarship to play with Missouri University of Science and Technology.

“I expect a lot of hard work and effort out of the college team,” Canhos said.

Sometimes it take going farther away than expected to find the right team to suit a player’s needs. Lewis and Clark Community College is located in Godfrey, Illinois.

“I feel like going far away for college is a great opportunity for me. I already have found and know my roommates, so the comfort level is already there,” Howard said.

With Rolla being a larger school in Missouri, all sports teams find themselves up against some of the toughest competition in the state.

“I’m not too worried about the jump in competition; I know I can dominate at any level. It’s all about the time you put in,” Canhos said.

It’s very difficult for athletes to get the college level based solely on their athletic ability. It requires them to work harder than everyone else every single day.

“The hours that I put into working have paid off and the opportunity to go to school and play soccer for free for the next two years is something I am very grateful for. Opportunities like this don’t happen often so hopefully I can represent Rolla and Lewis and Clark with the best of my ability’s over my time there,” Howard said.