• The last day of school is Tuesday, May 21, dismissal at 1:00.

Brad Watson gives memorable state performance

This year coming back from the state tournament senior Brad Watson had a little bit of extra hardware: a fourth place medal.

“I went up with the team last year, and just sitting there watching them wrestle wasn’t as fun,” Watson said.

Watson finished third in the Class 3 District 3 tournament, advancing him to the state tournament. At state he pinned his first opponent and defeated his second opponent 11-2 before falling in the semi-final.

“The kid from Staley, who I wrestled in the semifinal, was probably my toughest match (in the state tournament) and I lost 4-3,” Watson said.

In the consolation bracket, Watson won his first match 8-6 then lost the third place match 6-4, leaving him in fourth place.

“My experience at state was kind of overwhelming the first day I got there, but the longer I was there the more comfortable it became,” Watson said.

The work in the off-season is directly proportional to the success of the athlete—and Watson in no exception.

“Marcus and I went to some wrestling camps and we went to out-of-state tournaments to get to see and wrestle some different people during the summer,” Watson said.  “Not having made it to state would have been a disappointment, but at the beginning of the season I wasn’t 100% sure I was going to make it.”

Although he ended his high school career on a high note, he definitely sees himself continuing to wrestle in college.               

“I plan on wrestling in college, I’m not really sure where, probably a college that has a program that is just starting up,” Watson said.