Male cheerleaders work hard to pump up high school sports

“Get up on your feet, and move to the bulldog beat, It goes, Go, go, fight, fight, win, win, fight, fight, go fight, win fight, go fight win,” senior Thomas Ceja said.

Ceja is a male cheerleader for the football cheer squad and represents a major comeback from a male started program which girls have dominated since the 20’s.

Cheering has become more than a dance routine.

“I guess the hardest part [being a male cheerleader] is trying new things because you get so frustrated when you don’t land a stunt right or get the moves down. But with all sports, you just gotta keep working till you get it right,” Ceja said.

Hard work and dedication comes with a relaxed sport that can be fun while supportive at the same time.

“I became a cheerleader because I like the feeling of not dreading practice, and the fact that there aren’t very many male cheerleaders out there and that’s unique and I’m a unique person,” Ceja said.

As of right now, every cheerleader in Division I schools are 50% males.”according to Isport.com” Cheering can equal full ride scholorship rather than paying your way to school

“It’s scary [performing in front of people]; you get some stage fright but once you’re out there and the music starts, it all goes away and you just get into the rhythm,” Ceja said. “ [The] best part is I’m able to be myself, a fool it’s what I am, and I like being out there screaming and being in a sport I can’t complain about.”

Becoming a male cheerleader doesn’t need a lot of experience but being athletic or having school spirit can be a step up on the competition.

“I was coaching cheer for the RYC [Rolla Youth Cheerleading] program here in Rolla which my mom runs. I started cheering junior year for the high school, but at the same time started cheering for a competitive team in Jeff City,” Ceja said. “Well when I first started cheering, I found that I have some natural talent so I kept practicing because I plan on cheering at Mizzou after high school, so I think it paid off to keep practicing out of season.”