• Finals schedule at this link: bit.ly/finalschedule23-24
  • The last day of school is Tuesday, May 21, dismissal at 1:00.

Texting is a new epidemic of addiction, not going away, experts say

At some point or another, everyone has been warned against the dangers of texting and driving.  This may not be the only problem associated with texting.  In the rush of everyday life, sending a text every now and then may be a quicker way of relaying information, but has texting become a true addiction to some?

Usually addictions are associated with drugs or alcohol, but according to Merriam-Webster’s definition an addiction consists of “compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance.” Texting can very easily become a habit; so yes, you can potentially become addicted.

Everyone has that one friend that goes through their day constantly on their phone, the one that texts someone sitting right next to them, or the one that has a panic attack when their phone is left at home. Why is that? Yes, it is quite a bit easier than calling someone, not to mention faster, but if you are in the mood for an actual conversation, why not just make a phone call?

Studies show that excessive texting is not a fad, and will probably not be going away anytime soon. Doctors believe that sending a text, and instantly receiving a reply floods the brain’s pleasure receiving center with dopamine, which is similar to the effects of heroin.  Comparing texting to heroin seems odd, but take the time to think about it. People wake up in the middle of the night to answer texts. If they get their phone take away all they can think about is when they will get to check it next.  Some even shower with their phones.