• The last day of school is Tuesday, May 21, dismissal at 1:00.

Key Club continues its efforts to help the Community Blood Center

The Rolla High School Key Club held a blood drive in the practice gym of the school on Jan. 28.

“We [the Key Club] have been doing blood drives for well over ten years,” Key Club sponsor Angie Anderson said.

In the years that the club has helped the Community Blood Center of the Ozarks with the blood drive, there has been a great turn out of students to donate their blood.

“Usually we set around 125 appointments, and some people decide the day of that they don’t want to do it. They get scared,” Anderson said.

This year most people didn’t show up to donate due to an illness going around, but it tends to be due to people being scared.

“I think a lot of people have been giving the excuse that they are really afraid of needles, but you’re going to get shots eventually in life and it’s not that much different than having a needle stuck in you. Just get over it and give some blood because you’re going to save somebody’s life that way,” senior Kacie Richardson said.

Donating blood is one of the easiest ways to help someone. Simply by visiting a local blood drive, filling out the proper paper work, and undergoing a quick blood withdrawal procedure, you can save up to as many as three lives.

“Giving blood is a very selfless act. It does help people get over different diseases or, if you’re in a horrendous car accident, you can live instead of die because people do give their blood,” Anderson said.

The thought of helping an innocent life is very important to some people and gives them a feeling of satisfactory after donating.

“I’ve tried to give blood at every single blood drive at the schools I’ve worked, and started giving blood in college. So, obviously, I think it’s important,” RHS Principal, Nathan Hoven said.  “You always hear about blood shortages and how much they need people’s blood. I think it’s just a small thing we can do to help people a lot.”

When people give blood, the Community Blood Center of the Ozarks goes through a few tests to make sure their blood is clean enough to donate. The blood is tested for cholesterol, disease, or any abnormality before it is accepted into the blood center’s supply.

“Usually, once you give blood, they screen it so they can come back and tell you your cholesterol, if you have any kinds of STDs, and pretty much anything that is in your blood and they’ll let you know if it’s abnormal.  If it is clean they send it to the area hospitals, Rolla included, and people can use it for transfusions,” Anderson said.

The Key Club, who sponsors these blood drives, collects a large amount of the blood that is then used for the transfusions. Most of the donations are made by students and faculty members, with occasional community members who come in to donate.

“We usually collect on the average between 90 and 100 units. I believe 3 years ago we had a blood drive and we collected 113 units,” Anderson said.

This year was another great turnout for the blood drive. Key Club helped the Blood Center collect over 98 units of blood.

“I’ve been very proud of the turnout we’ve had at the blood drives here at Rolla High School. And, talking to the people who work at the blood drives, the number of units of blood they get from us at any given blood drive is outstanding. I’m just proud of the students for stepping up and doing that,” Hoven said