• The last day of school is Tuesday, May 21, dismissal at 1:00.

Breaking the Chains: September

I chose to give up Facebook from the beginning of August until the beginning of September.  I thought it may be challenging because I have Facebook on my phone so it’s always at my fingertips. 

I was capable of making it through the first few days without Facebook because I occupied my time with homework, tennis practice/ games, and reading.  The more days that passed, the more I forgot about it.  Until one day my phone “dinged” and it was Facebook saying “You have been tagged.”  I was tempted but then I thought, “I’m not going to get trapped by Facebook,” so I ignored it.  Without Facebook, I had more time; I never realized how much time I spent on Facebook until I gave it up. 

I added up about how much time I used to spend on Facebook in a week: about two and half hours.  So in a month, that’s nine hours, and 108 hours in one year.  That’s four and a half days on Facebook. Of the 8,760 hours, or 365 days in year, I don’t want to spend that much time on Facebook.  There are much better things I can do with my life, such as spending more time with family and friends, learning new things, or doing anything productive. 

Once I figured out those numbers, I deleted my Facebook application because it’s not worth my time for nothing productive.  I still have a Facebook account, but I won’t be on it nearly as much because there is so much out there that the world has to offer.  Why waste my time?

I just can’t imagine how much time the people who just sit in front of their computer screens spend waiting for something new to happen on Facebook.  Think about it: how much time are you on Facebook in a week? Could you be doing something better with that time?