Rotary International exchange student shares his journey

This is my story about being an exchange student in the USA.  My name is Ananda Nicola Gunwan (usually people call me NICO). I come from Indonesia, it’s an islands right above Australia, I arrived here in August 1st so it been a month for me in here, I flew for 37 hours travel time and I came here alone without any friends or any family member who accompany me.. so it was crazy, and I have 12 different hours, so I had a terrible jet lag when the first time I arrived. But being an exchanger is so wonderful, you will see a different part of the world that maybe the other kids can’t. You will live in a different situation, different culture, and different environment for a year! You will meet a lot of new friend, you will expend your connection, you can learn about new thing and it’s not impossible for you to have a chance to do a lot of activity that you never had before. You can be a youth envoy to represent your country and you can introduce your own culture, and you will have a lot of moment that you never imagine. Before

I think I was lucky to have a chance to live in Rolla, because it is a good place and it not to big or to small everything is good in here, the people are really Welcome. The school and the students are really nice. Now I live with Potrafka’s family and I live with Nate Potrafka as my host brother, I think it’s all my story about exchange, if you interested about exchange or if you have a question about it you can always find me in our high school.

These are my friends who came with me to the airport, they were truant from the school to accompany me to the airport

And this the first time that I arrived in USA, Potrafka’s family and Gillis’s family welcome me so well in the St. Louis airport.
This is me and my host brother Nate and his friends.  We went to the 33 miles concert.
This is me and my host brother Nate and his friends. We went to the 33 miles concert.
This is me taking a picture at the arch  in St.Louis.
This is me taking a picture at the arch in St.Louis.

This is me and the Gillis’s family watching International soccer between Real Madrid and Inter Milan match in St. Louis
This photo was taken while me and the other exchange students from around the world met together in Jeff City and we had a pool party there.