Nathan’s library: Week 1: The Last Kingdom

In school, my favorite subject was History. I took every history class available, and became a total history buff. So it comes as no surprise that my favorite book category is Historical fiction. Historical fiction presents a story that takes place during a notable period in history, and usually during a significant event in that period. Historical fiction often presents events from the point of view of fictional characters of that time period.

Over the years I have compiled a list of the greatest historical fiction books published. And sitting at the top of that list is The Last Kingdom, written by Bernard Cornwell. The Last Kingdom, the first in Cornwell’s Saxon Chronicles, introduces us to Uhtred, the ten year old heir to the Earl of Northumbria. It is 866 AD, England is full of unrest, and Uhtred’s home is attacked by the Danes; his family is killed and he is taken prisoner by the Danes and their leader, Ragnar the Fearless, and raised in the way of the Vikings. We see Uhtred grow into a young man as he is introduced to the joys of women, battle, and freedom, as he becomes like a son to Ragnar. Never forgetting his lost home of Bebbanburg Castle in Northumbria, and retaining his identity as an Englishman, Uhtred is torn between loyalty to Ragnar and the Vikings and the desire to reclaim his family’s land. The Danes seek to conquer Alfred, the pious Christian King of the Kingdom of Wessex, the last remaining Kingdom in England that they haven’t conquered. In a particularly savage attack by a rival group on Ragnar’s family, Uhtred’s fate is decided for him. He puts forth the rumor that he was also killed in the attack and escapes to join the side of King Alfred against the Danes. He has one condition on fighting for Alfred and that is to marry the Saxon girl Mildrith. In the great siege of Guthrum, Alfred’s wife is captured by the Danes and Uhtred is offered up by King Alfred in a hostage exchange. Now back with the Danes and reunited with Ragnar the Fearless’ son, Ragnar the Younger, Uhtred must search out his wife and decide on which side of the Battle his loyalties really lie.

The Last Kingdom was one of the best books I have ever read, Cornwell quickly became one of my favorite authors, and upon learning that there were five more books (soon to be six) in the series, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on them. The Saxon Chronicles I’m afraid aren’t for the weak hearted or the squeamish. The Last Kingdom can become incredibly graphic and stomach dropping. Cornwell really wanted to give the reader a descriptive look at how incredibly violent and savage the battles between the English and Danes were in the ninth century. Though for anyone looking for a book that keeps you turning pages in fear and hope for what comes next, I highly recommend The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell, the first installment of The Saxon Chronicles.