Plan your spooky eve

Garrett Wilson

Halloween is coming up and there are dozens of haunted houses and scary attractions for horror enjoyers to experience, but what if scary stuff isn’t your thing? There are plenty of non-spooky Halloween and fall events around and in Rolla.

Trick or treating is an iconic Halloween activity, but many teenagers think they are ‘too old’ to trick or treat. Luckily for teens in Rolla, there are no age restrictions set in place for trick or treating.  

Boo-Palooza is an annual Halloween event, hosted on Oct. 31. It’s a family friendly event in downtown Rolla on Pine Street. The event is from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and has trick or treating, games, music and many vendors from all around the Rolla area. 

Another trick or treating event on Halloween day is Greentree Christian Church’s annual Trunk or Treat. From 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., there will be a special needs carnival to kick off the night, then from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., there will be trunk or treating. People from all around Rolla set up booths in the church and give out candy and goodies.

If trick or treating isn’t your thing, you can always visit a pumpkin patch to really embrace the fall spirit. A popular pumpkin patch, just a few minutes out of town, is Pete’s Pumpkin Patch. You can go and pick your own pumpkin, get lost in the corn maze, climb a rockwall, or play with some animals.

Another great pumpkin patch is Mathis Farms Pumpkin Patch. They have a variety of fun activities such as hay rides, a nature trail, obviously a pumpkin patch, and so much more. Closer to Halloween, they also usually do a spookier version of the nature trail and the hayride.

If you want something a bit more spooky and out of the area, consider St. Louis Ghosts, a ghost tour that travels through St. Louis’ haunting places along the Mississippi. While you’re on your tour, you also get to learn the rich history of St. Louis.

Another historical ghost tour you can visit is at the Missouri State Penitentiary. There are many options based on how spooky you’re wanting to get ranging from a two-hour ghost tour to a private overnight paranormal investigation.

There are many fun Halloween activities in and around Rolla that aren’t just haunted houses. Whether trick or treating, going to a pumpkin patch or a ghost tour you can have just the right amount of scary fun. No matter your age!