• Spring break begins March 25 through March. 29.

Grahl’s Restraurant Raves and Reviews

Rolla could easily be considered the restaurant capitol of South Central Missouri. With its wide variety of dining choices, Missouri S&T also helps bring in a cultural diverse culinary experience that is unique to the Rolla area.

With that being said, there are two not-so-new restaurants in town that are very deserving of the public recognition. The first one is the Giddy Goat, a offee house formally located in the downtown area and relocated in July of 2012 to the former location of West of Italy, next to the Discount Smoke Shop, at 704 N Bishop Ave. The popular university coffee house outgrew its former space and has now expanded its seating, menu, and services. The Giddy Goat has the same laid back atmosphere as before. It is not only well known for its wide array of exotic flavors of coffee, but also tantalizing Panini style sandwiches with esoteric names such as Saltimbocca, Caprese (vegetarian), Angora and Toggenburg. These sandwiches range in price from $5.99 to $7.29 with $6.99 being the average.

Their salads which are made with spring mix lettuce have memorable names such as Big Bird, Wilbur, and Tom. Fresh garlic, hummus, and pita bread are house favorites served at only $3.99. The Couscous salad, served hot or cold, is $1.29, Sun Chips come in flavors of French onion, garden salsa, plain or cheddar are priced at $1.49.

In terms of coffee, they have a splendor to offer in variety of flavors. From their house coffee starting at $1.79 to a specialty/flavored lattes $3.99 and specialty mochas at $4.29, there is a healthy difference in price range for your wallet. If you’re feeling experimental or brave, you can try the Shot in the Dark, starting at $2.89 that offers multiple shots of espresso. If you are a coffee fanatic, you definitely want to try the Bottomless Cup in House at $3.99.

The Giddy Goat has everything from food to coffee as well as their tea menu which includes but is not limited to Dirty Hippie, Nuclear Waste, Tiny Turtle, Giddy Bomb or just a plain Green Tea Latte at $4.19. They also have a wide assortment of non-coffee related drinks that have soda in the name for the normal people out there looking for a play to detox and chill.

If you’re going to the Giddy Goat for their splendor of food or coffee or other assortment of products, it is open approximately from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Completely opposite from the underground university scene, Kaprizio, created with a healthy passion for food and people, prides itself on international food and cuisine. They are located at 1212 Highway 72. They are known for its professionally trained chef, Stefan Stove, who has crafted a healthy and diverse menu with many vegetarian choices. This restaurant supplies a delicious menu with one of a kind dishes that have unique taste one might find in a foreign country or in an international food festival.

For instance, the Bruschetta Kaprizio, consists of Artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, Kalamata olives, and parmesan cheese. Other mouth-watering dishes include the Caprese Bruschetta, Meatballs Pomodoro, Goat Cheese Veggie Flatbread, Flatbread Margarita and the Calamari Fritti.

Decorated in an old world European style elegance, Kaprizio’s is notorious for outstanding service and phenomenal cuisine. Some of its signature sandwiches include Kaprizio Panini, Turkey Pesto Panini and the Pastrami Reuben. However, it is truly the pastas and entrees, such as, Kaprizio Signature Pasta, Penne Bolognese, Veggie Homemade Lasagna, Cheese Ravioli, Broccoli Alfredom Chicken Marsal and the Pan-Roasted Tilapia, that keep you coming back.

For the starving man, steaks are served New York Strip style, Rib Eye, and Steak Diane. The non-red meat lovers can enjoy Chicken Fricassee, Chicken Marsala, Chicken Pork Tenderloin, Pan Roasted Tilapia, or Salmon.

After dinner you can finish the night with a rich handcrafted dessert such as Torte Kaprizio, Tiramisu, Crème Carmel or Melba, and wash it all down with a coffee, espresso, cappuccino, or a hot tea.

Kaprizio’s is open Monday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday to Saturday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. They are closed on Sunday. For more information on their menus and daily specials, visit them online at www.kapriziorestaurant.com or on their Facebook page at facebook.com/kapriziorestaurant