Navigating the Labyrinth: Freshmen Survival Guide

High school in itself can be hard: early mornings, heavy textbooks, and pages and pages of homework that can (almost) always be put off until tomorrow. However, it’s especially difficult for those who are in new situations. Along with the struggles that upperclassmen face, freshmen have to find their way through a new school, learn the names and faces of unfamiliar teachers, and locate their way through an entirely new academic environment. 

With three floors and countless classrooms, RHS can feel like a labyrinth. 

“Before I started, I was really nervous about finding my way throughout the school, like knowing how to get to my classes, my locker, how I can work my time schedule out with my parents and in my regular outside-of-band schedule,” said freshman Allainya Gehlert. 

Trying to balance school with activities and homework is a recurring theme from RHS students. 

Sophomore Seth Kuhlman said he would tell his freshman self, “Do your homework the first night.” 

Many teachers assign homework about the content they taught in class that day, and students have an easier time completing it when their memory of the lesson is fresh in their minds. Putting it off due to sports, clubs, or jobs can lead to a declining grade. 

“Having good friends that would help you…if you need help with homework,” is the solution Kuhlman gives struggling freshmen. 

Another resource available for freshmen are the Freshman Integration, Development, Orientation leaders or “FIDO” leaders. They are sophomore, junior, and senior students who volunteer for the program. Gehlert feels like she can ask them questions in the hallways, even if they aren’t her FIDO leaders specifically. 

“The FIDO has been super helpful. I really like my FIDO [leaders]…They’re really nice,” said Gehlert.

Even upperclassmen who aren’t in FIDO reach out to freshmen. 

A bunch of the upperclassmen are super nice to me and they’ve helped me out a lot,” explained Gehlert. 

Junior Lola King and senior Kennedy Kearse offer their advice to freshmen. Going into high school, classes can get harder. When you’re in harder classes, it’s easy to get confused or not understand. 

“Don’t be afraid to ask questions…[Teachers] were more than happy to help me out,” said King. 

Battling confusing situations gets easier when you ask questions. Confusion doesn’t just have to be schoolwork though. It can also be remembering who’s who. Kearse remembers what he wished he could have known when he came to high school. 

“People’s names…so I could address them and then make conversation,” said Kearse.

Making friends can be really difficult in high school because everyone is still learning themselves, much less getting to know everyone else and a new environment. 

“Be yourself. You’ll get friends [who] actually get you and your humor and your personal boundaries and stuff, not just someone you think likes you,” said King. 

As a senior at RHS, Kearse likes to keep it simple; he keeps one line in mind: “Be a champion.”