Amy Herrman joins adminstration staff

Amy Herrman began her journey to becoming an assistant principal last year. She started by taking a temporary position at the middle school as an administrative intern in order to be ready for the next available position in the district.

Although this is Herrman’s first year as an assistant principal, this is not her first year working with teenagers. Being a history teacher for 12 years prepared her for her new job.

“There’s not really a huge difference between the kids. Students at the high school seem to be more comfortable with honesty, you guys know there will be a consequence and seem to just want to get it over with. I appreciate that about this age of students.  Basically, I see a difference in level of maturity,” Herrman said.

Although Herrman enjoys her new job, she admits to missing certain aspects of teaching.

“What I miss most is that day to day relationship you develop, with all kinds of students. I love to teach and see students get excited about learning or history,” Herrman said.

The administrative position does offer a personal relationship with some students.

“You do [as an administrator] end up having some regular customers or frequent offenders. But, I’m finding that I do not get to be out with the average student body as much as I’d like,” Herrman said.

Herrman would like to see good students recognized more often. She believes that consistently good students are not rewarded as often as bad students who happen to be responsible once.

“Teenagers have such a bad reputation, in this community. The public eye often seems to be afraid of them. I think that if the high school opted to reward responsible students regularly, the students would perform better,” Herrman said.