Breaking the chains: Echo staffer Lacey Raper gives up her greasy haven

At the beginning of November, I decided that my overconsumption french fries would be the chain I would break. I am now convinced that I went into complete a dead-brain mode while making that decision. Anyone who knows me knows that if you take one of my french fries, you’d better be prepared, because a storm is headed your way. After making my decision, and saying that this was indeed my choice, I snapped out of dead-brain mode, and realized that this was going to be a horrendous month.

The first few days started off well. After eating a gigantic plate of french fries the night before my challenge officially started, I didn’t feel a need for french fries. I thought that maybe, just maybe, this wouldn’t be that bad.

I am sad to say that I only lasted three days. On the fourth day of my challenge, I was checked out of school to head to St. Louis for a doctor’s appointment. My dad drove through McDonald’s and not thinking, I just ordered a number twelve. Only halfway through my meal, with a majority of my french fries already gone had I realized what I had just done. Reality hit me in the face. Or more correctly, a potato hit me in the face, seeing as I happened to smack my forehead upon my realization, conveniently forgetting about the french fry in my hand.  

Not only had I failed to break my chain, I failed within four days out of the thirty. I had sufficiently proved that I was not prepared for this challenge. But, I decided that even though I had failed, it was still early in the month, and I had ample time to redeem myself.

And for awhile, I did great. I avoided McDonald’s. When going to restaurants, I made sure that whatever I ordered had no french fries. I even turned down a french fry my friend offered from his pile of french fries that were right next to me. I was on a roll. And it felt great.

Then I took a visit to Kirksville.                                                                                                                

I had been on the three hour drive to Kirksville to see my two sisters at Truman State University. I spent the first evening with Hannah, who is only a couple years older than me. We went to what she called the Sub, telling me that I had to try their french fries, because they were fantastic. My mind was telling me that if I ate those fries, then this whole month would be ruined. But I was pretty hungry after driving for three hours. And who could turn down those golden delicious-looking fries? So I thought, what the heck. One couldn’t hurt. I hadn’t taken my sister’s statement seriously enough. These french fries were to die for. I found that I couldn’t only eat just one. Before I knew it, the basket was empty, and so was my sense of accomplishment. Now, not only had I failed once by accident, I had failed a second time with full knowledge of what I was doing.

I finished out the end of the month strong, determining not to give up. But I can’t say that I successfully completed this challenge.

But what I can say is that in thirty days, I only ate french fries twice. I’m pretty sure that has never happened before in my entire life. Even though I didn’t totally get rid of fries for a month, I was able to significantly decrease my intake of them. The effects of that are still here. I no longer think of french fries as the first food to go for. Yes, I still order them, but not nearly to the extent I did before.  So even though I didn’t completely meet the requirements of my challenge, I can still say, with full confidence, that I broke my chain.

So give it a try sometime. Give up something that you’ve been attached to. And if you mess up, it’s ok. You find that even if you mess up, you can still change your habits.