Chalk Talk: December

I was pretty much trained my entire life to become the master commander of bargain shopping. It runs in the family, I think, and it’s a gene I hope to pass on because it is truly wonderful. I fear one day I might be one that one show, “Extreme Couponers,” but then I know there’s no way because I refuse to dedicate a spare room to boxes of macaroni and hand sanitizer.

Anyway, I’ve discovered a lot of things in past years when I’ve gone Christmas shopping on a budget. As a kid, I could just get my parents to take me shopping and they’d buy the stuff I’d give to my brother or even themselves. Last year was the first Christmas where I had a job, so I was all excited and was like, “It’s cool, guys. I got this.” Now, I have two jobs and still happen to have little money to pay for the expenditures of the holidays.

So, by the time you all read this I hope you all have gotten the gifts you’re giving to your loved ones. If you haven’t yet, then fear not. You can still manage to give great gifts (because obviously the presents you give are the best gauges to determine your amount of affection for said person) in such a short time.

First off, no matter how lame it sounds, you can always make something. It’s a low-budget and unique way to really show that you actually like this person. I’ve given and received lots of things of the hand-made variety and sometimes it’s just the best thing to give someone. Use pictures in something for a good friend, or bake cake or brownies. (Or, if you want to give me something special, I like most varieties of cookies; just throwing that out there.) Put some effort into it.

Other than that, try any place in town that is designed to get that something for that someone. There’s Red Door Gifts, Happenstance, Trendy Gifts, etc. You could go to Walmart, of course, and you usually can’t go wrong with their favorite foods or candy. Last, what are their favorite stores? Giftcards are great. Get your favorite driver a gas card. Get Lacey Raper a McDonald’s card. Or me. I like McDonald’s too.

I hope you’ll take this opinion of mine into account this season and save some money, time, or stress so you don’t end up hating the person you’re buying a gift for. That’s right, it could happen. Grab a mug of eggnog and watch one of the Hallmark Christmas movies I watch almost religiously this time of year. Give without freaking out about it. Just enjoy the holidays, have a good break, and we’ll see you when you get back.