Letter from the Editor- January

In case anyone didn’t know, it is now 2013. New Year’s has come and gone, which means that New Year’s resolutions have come and gone as well. I used to make fun of people who made resolutions, because no one who made them could stick to said resolution for a whole year.

The statistics are not in the resolution maker’s favor. By February, most people have already fallen off of the resolution bandwagon. By December, nearly every resolution maker has failed.

Well, this year, instead of making fun of the people who tried to change their life somehow after the first of the year, I joined them. My resolution this year is to write every day to improve my writing ability. Practice makes perfect, right? With 365 days of practice, by the end of the year, my writing should be perfect. Just kidding, but my writing should be a lot better than it was when I first started on Jan. 1.

That being said, I already almost failed at my resolution. After a night out, I came home close to 11:40 pm dead tired. As it got closer to midnight (my deadline), I remembered that I still hadn’t written that day. I scrambled and managed to write down a whole paragraph before passing out on the couch immediately after.

After that, I’ve been trying to write earlier in the day so that doesn’t happen again. That moment made me reassess how I was approaching my resolution.

I think that in order for resolutions to succeed, the makers must almost fail at their resolutions. If they truly want to change their life with their resolution, said person will make it happen. If it’s just something that said person isn’t passionate about, the almost failure will just make them not care about it.

So, if you have made a resolution, don’t freak out if you almost fail; that moment close to failure will just show you how much you care about making your resolution work.