Leadership class to give Senior Citizens a trip down memory lane with service day prom

The leadership class might have moved from one end of the third floor to the other, but the class is still looking for new ways to give back to the community. The School Committee (a subgroup of the leadership class) is planning a Senior Citizen Prom as part of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service.

“It’s going to be just like a high school prom, except for senior citizens from a nursing home,” senior Seren Acar said. “It will be at Presbyterian Manor on Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Feb. 16, 2012) at five.”

Senior citizen proms aren’t an unheard of idea, but it is a new idea for the Rolla community.

“We wanted to do something for the elderly in the Rolla community, because it’s rare that kids in high school get to interact with the people in nursing homes,” senior Briana Choi said. “Mrs. Gillis and I thought it would be something nice for the senior citizens and it would be a fun and generous way to give back to the community.”

With such an age gap between high schoolers and senior citizens, one might think it would be impossible to plan a fun prom. The school committee is confident the senior citizen prom will be a successful.   

“We hope to find old music from when they were in high school, music that will remind them of when they were going to their actual prom,” Acar said. “The theme for the Senior Citizen Prom is ‘Old Hollywood’ and we’ll make Hollywood decorations and have people walking around during the dance serving snacks and drinks. It’s going to be fun.”