Science Olympiad scores big at regional competition

On Feb 18, the Science Olympiad team competed at the regional competition at the Missouri S&T campus and brought home an abundance of awards.

“We had five seconds, four thirds, and five fourths. We placed in seventeen out of twenty two events,” coach Steve Day said.

Along with those fourteen awards, one team got a gold medal.

“Our best [event] was anatomy and physiology and that was Abagail Campbell and Emily Fox. They got first, our only first,” Day said.

By winning all of those awards, the Science Olympiad Team brought home second place over all out of nine teams.

“This is the highest team score we’ve had in a while, but we had only the one number one spot, which was unusual,” Day said.

Senior Nabeel Chowdhury has been working hard to fix the balsa wood tower that got crushed by the weight placed upon them.

“We are just refining the things that we have. Like, we’re rebuilding the tower because it broke under the weight and were trying to get ready earlier than we did before,” Chowdhury said.

Sophomore Greg Wilkins has been preparing the gravity vehicle to travel down its ramp in a correct manner, just like Nabeel has been preparing the tower.

“We’re studying and making a brand new Gravity Vehicle that isn’t horrible,” Wilkins said.

All of their hard work at regionals paid off.

“We didn’t get many sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth [places]. We got zero tenths,” Day said.

With all of their hard work preparing for state, the team’s hopes are high for state and all the fun that comes with it.

“I had a ton of fun. We messed around on campus, we went to the Havener Center and met a bunch of cool people,” sophomore Priyank Madria said. “I hope state’s the same experience.”