It’s Summerfest time

Rolla’s 18th annual “Route 66” Summerfest will take place Friday, May 31st to Sunday, June 2nd.  The event was originally put on to celebrate the city’s downtown, but in recent years has expanded to include Route 66. The festival marks the beginning of summer in Rolla. This year’s Summerfest will feature many activities around town for the community to participate in.

The celebration will kick off on Friday afternoon, when hundreds of classic cars will participate in “Cruise Route 66.” The cars will be carrying the candidates for 2013 Miss Route 66. There will also be a picnic for members and supporters of the Association of United States Army (AUSA) in the downtown area.  Afterwards, the drive-in movie “Brave” will be shown.

On Saturday morning, a craft festival will take place on 9th street. Many activities such as bouncy games, face painting, carnival games, and pony rides will be available for children.  In addition, there will be sporting events throughout the day, including the doubles tennis tournament, bicycle and tricycle races, and the Downhill Derby.  There will also be a professional display at the skate park, which will be open all weekend. The day wraps up with a car show, a burnout competition, and a concert by Butchwax and the Hollywoods.