• Spring break begins March 25 through March. 29.

Student expresses concerns over RHS course offerings

As a student, I stress over scheduling next years classes. I go over and over the variety of course descriptions I have to choose from, and through out all these course descriptions, I do not find one class on economics, not one on modern day politics, not even one current events class. Now in Washington we all hear our political leaders complaining about how our kids are falling behind. How our test scores are not nearly as good as china’s or japans. Well why don’t we try offering classes that will help advance our country as well as students careers. Maybe one thought provoking class on civics and social issues, or one on modern day economic theories. I was watching the state of the union address the other night and I remember president Obama saying ” We need to teach our kids that it’s not just the winner of the Super Bowl who deserves to be celebrated, but the winner of the science fair.” I believe that is fantastic idea, but how are we going to do that when we have nearly as many art classes as science classes. In the latest survey I could find about students civic knowledge, the Goldwater institute took questions from
     United states citizenship and immigration services and gave them to a group of Arizona high school students. Only 3.5 percent of the students passed. In my opinion this is foretelling a grim future if we do not change. So why don’t we broaden our curriculum and start offering classes that will benefit our country and us