Sophie’s Voice

When thinking about the beginning of the nation or more specifically, the founding of, the first thoughts that come to mind are usually of Pilgrims and Indians, George Washington, The Declaration of Independence, and the American Revolution.  America “began” when the Pilgrims ventured over here, but the actual ‘founding’ began in the 1700s when our country and forefathers basically decided, “You know what? We’re going to do things our way now.” And that was exactly what they did. The American Revolution was fought and won, the Declaration was signed, and thus by the 1800s, the United States of America was created.

It didn’t happen over night, there was more to it. There were weak attempts and failed plans, and months of yelling and debating with each other over different aspects of how the country should be built. Naturally, there were flaws and problems with those plans and ideas, but those problems weren’t the most relevant thing at the time, because they knew in time those problems would be resolved. What was important was that they had figured out how this country needed to be lead. Our forefathers weren’t ignorant – they knew what they were doing, and in the end they knew just what is was going to take to make this country successful.

Fast forward to present day, 2011. Times have changed, and over the years, America has slowly begun to lose its shape that the forefathers worked so hard to attain. Our country is currently wedged between a rock and a hard place, as problems and debt keep piling up. There is a simple solution to all these problems though: a blast to the past. As mentioned before, our founding fathers were smart guys. They developed a system that had never been tried before, but it worked, and it worked well. If our country’s current leaders and future leaders begin to reshape our country back into what it was, then our country just might begin to dig itself out of its hole and get back on top.

At the moment, potential presidential candidates are debating with one another, chatting it up with reporters, grinning helplessly into the cameras, and trying their best to make people like them. It won’t be long before a new president will take office, and hopefully that president will bring a sense of old to the Oval Office, and begin to reshape our country back into what it used to be, yet making it work for our country in the present day . Seeing some of the potential candidates, I think it might just be possible.