Is Obama hiding something? Is Trump going too far?

Whenever election time comes around, all candidates – regardless of political standing or office – are extremely scrutinized by citizens or even opponents themselves. But not even two weeks before Election Day, business innovator and entrepreneur Donald Trump announced he would pay $5 million to a charity of Barack Obama’s choice if he released his college transcripts and passport applications and history.

Trump has dubbed Obama as ‘the least transparent president in history.’ Although Trump never clarified what he was trying to find, and the Obama administration never made the records public- the question still lies: what was Trump trying to prove and what – if anything – is Obama hiding?

“The Campaign,” released earlier this year, starring Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis, briefly brushes upon the issue of accusation by interpretation.

Ferrell (Cam Brady) is running for congressman out of Hammond, North Carolina. For the majority of his candidacy, Brady runs unopposed. Then, as if out of nowhere, Galifianakis (Marty Huggins) announces his candidacy, and the campaign – dubbed “The Holy War” – in the film, begins.

To cut to the chase, in a political ad Brady runs against Huggins, he compares his facial hair to that of middle-eastern men. Brady then goes on to accuse Huggins of being a part of Al-Qaeda and asks the question, “Where was Marty Huggins on 9/11?” There was also footage in the ad of Huggins refusing to answer questions on whether or not he is a radical Islamic terrorist.

So, if Barack Obama refuses to release his college transcripts and passport information, does that automatically mean he is hiding something? No information of this kind has been requested by a populace, but if asked, shouldn’t they receive?

Obama’s passport history could easily debunk or prove conspiracy theories of his birthplace or heritage in general – although the White House has already released a long-form birth certificate.

Trump is holding his ground by saying Barack Obama released a book stating he was born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia. But, what would this matter anyway? Barack Obama has already been the United States president, and will be for the next four years.

However, an article by Washington Times, “The Donald Trump’s Obama,” says ole Donald is asking the wrong questions.

“Forget the birth certificate, forget the passport, forget trying to disqualify Barack Obama on these grounds. Ask for his thesis. It is time to find out if he really is the carefully crafted image the left has thrust upon us, or the empty shell the right believes,” the article stated.