Chalk talk: setting priorities: March

Around this time last year, I was watching my brother prepare to graduate from high school thinking, “Wow, that’ll be me in a year.” And now it is. All I can think of is all the stuff I have to get done, like paperwork and registration and keeping up grades. It’s a lot to take in at one time. And still, my senioritis has kicked in hardcore. I yawned as I typed that sentence. That’s how hardcore it is.

I started to get senioritis around sophomore year, when I’d do things like put off my homework, saying I’d wake up early and then, come sunrise, convince myself it wasn’t all that important anyway. It was terrible. Junior year I got better. I bounced back. I nailed it. Now, I have relapsed.

The thing is priorities. Get those things straightened out. Everything is a balancing act, and you have to split your time wisely between the ten or so (which feels like a million) things you have to do in a day. You can do it. I believe in you. If you place your priorities on your boyfriend, your car, or looking up memes online, you’re gonna have a bad time. Get motivated.

Be decisive. I am one of the most indecisive people you will ever meet. I kid you not. I won’t even begin to tell you the process by which I write this column and just how many times I hit backspace to change a word, a paragraph, or just start all over. It’s grand. But not really. Something I try to work on is making tough choices throughout my senior year, or just the day. I think it’s going well. Maybe. I’m not sure. Let me think about it.

The moral here is that you can overcome such an obstacle. I’m issuing a challenge to you. Beat senioritis. Punch it right in the face and move on with your day. You are the boss.