Effect of ACA

Registration for government healthcare plans begins tomorrow, October 1. Millions of Americans who were previously uninsured will now have access to health insurance, thanks to the Affordable Care Act. Each state will have a variety of plans for people to choose from based on their needs, income, and the plans they qualify for. The ACA also includes new healthcare benefits, protects consumers from hikes in insurance rates, expands Medicaid and Medicare, prohibits insurance companies from denying coverage to those with pre-existing conditions, and allows people to stay under their parents’ insurance plan until age 26, among countless other reforms. However, there has been controversy over the ACA, because it increases taxation on small and large businesses, taxes those who don’t buy insurance, and supports contraception for women, which goes against the religious beliefs of some Americans.  I believe that in this situation, the pros outweigh the cons. Health insurance is extremely important in today’s world, and the provisions in the ACA will allow for the treatment and curing of millions. Being under your parents’ insurance plan for an extended period of time is also extremely beneficial to people our age. I know that when I leave home, I will pursue higher education, and probably more than a bachelor’s degree. I know that in the future, I and others like me will not have to worry about paying for insurance, especially when money is tight while paying for college. Even for those who decide to go immediately into the workforce, it is nice to have a safety net while getting started and establishing a financial base. The banning of denial based on preexisting conditions is another huge reform that impacts many. Insurance providers can no longer refuse to cover a condition you were born with or developed, which saves a large amount of money for a lot of people. Overall, I feel that higher taxes and moral controversy are a small price to pay when millions can be treated and cured.