• Finals schedule at this link: bit.ly/finalschedule23-24
  • The last day of school is Tuesday, May 21, dismissal at 1:00.

Celebrity Influences on Politics

Abby Johnson

Celebrities have a great influence on several things involving fashion, movies, music, sports, and for some, even politics. With just one single post a celebrity can change thousands of perspectives. According to the creative arts institution Five Towns College, “In order to attract support for a candidate, a celebrity must have three qualities: they must be well-known, well-liked, and credible.” Meaning often the bigger the following the celebrity has, the more attention the source they want to support receives.
One of the most influential times for celebrities to advocate what they believe in is during election periods. For example, during the 2008 presidential election, talk show host Oprah Winfrey was credited for bringing worldwide attention to President Barack Obama. Obama announced he was running for president and only three months later he was endorsed by Winfrey. According to Northwestern University, “Polling evidence [from Pew’s Research Center] suggests that effects on consumer decisions may translate to politics, with 23% of Democrats saying that Winfrey’s endorsement would make them more likely to vote for Obama.”
Another example of celebrity endorsement includes global pop star Taylor Swift. In a behind-the-scenes clip from her documentary “Miss Americana,” Swift spoke openly against Marsha Blackburn, the senator from Tennessee. “[Blackburn] votes against fair pay for women. She votes against the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which is just protecting us [women] from domestic abuse and stalking. She thinks that if you are or even look like a gay couple, you should be allowed to be kicked out of a restaurant. It’s basic human rights,” Swift said. Despite her father telling her to stay quiet for her safety, she assured her parents and team how important it was for her to use her voice. “I don’t care if they write that [Taylor Swift comes out against Trump], I’m sad that I didn’t do anything two years ago, but I can’t change that,” Swift said. Sharing this situation with the public can help shine a light on how important it can be to voice your opinion publicly even though it can be scary.
One Tree Hill star Sophia Bush is a co-founder and board member of “I Am a Voter.” She focuses her energy on a myriad of things including human rights and environmental initiatives. According to the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, “Sophia devotes her free time to bettering girl’s education and the environment. […] Since taking to social media to share her passion for change, Bush has inspired young people to join her in raising nearly half a million dollars for charity, built three primary schools in Guatemala and Laos, and now serves as a global ambassador for Glamour’s, ‘The Girl Project.’” “The Girl Project” works in 96 countries helping girls around the world finish their education. Bush has also openly spoken on issues involving gender pay gaps, paid leave policy, and reproductive freedoms.
More recently, pop star Olivia Rodrigo announced her GUTS World Tour Fund 4 Good. According to the Entertainment Industry Foundation, “For the U.S. GUTS world tour, Olivia will partner with local chapters of the National Network of Abortion Funds to ensure those most impacted by systemic racism, misogyny, and healthcare barriers can get the reproductive care they deserve.” This is significant as countries are making decisions about reproductive rights in the upcoming election. During her St. Louis concert, Rodrigo made free contraceptive pills, stickers, and information about reproductive care available to fans. Afterwards, her team reconsidered and decided that wasn’t the route they wanted to take. The decision was based on children attending the concerts and the continuous backlash that was received from the media.While it is true that celebrities themselves aren’t politicians, I believe it is important for them to open a door to others by speaking about what they advocate for. In a time when so many people rely on the internet for their information, celebrities serve as role models to young people looking for answers or inspiration. When scrolling on social media topics like women’s rights, elections, and global crises can be easily overlooked by something like sports or music. Celebrities like the examples mentioned previously have a large platform that can make raising attention for important issues seem effortless, but make a huge impact.