• The last day of school is Tuesday, May 21, dismissal at 1:00.

Wrestling

The wrestling team lost a ton of varsity experience from last year’s team, including multiple state qualifiers. That makes it all the more important for last year’s lettermen to step up and be the leaders of this team.

“It’s very important for the experienced guys to step up and get the momentum going again. Wrestling is largely a mental battle, and it’s up to the returning letterman and seniors to step up and show the team we are better than we might think we are,” senior Jesse Conaway said.

With being a senior comes a lot of responsibility to lead not only by example but in a motivational way as well.

“As a senior, I try to be a leader in the practice room, during workouts, and when we are drilling. I try not to let it show when I’m tired, I keep working hard all the way through each workout hoping that it will push my teammates to work hard too,” Conaway said.

Even with the team struggling in the early going, the boys know they can do better.

“I feel like the season has gone alright, I don’t think we have hit our full potential quite yet,” junior Marcus Prosser said.

One thing about wrestling is that even though you work together during practice, when you are on the mat, it’s just you against the other guy; there are no teammates to pick you up.

“Being in a match is like nothing else in sports, everything is muffled and it’s just you and him. Which makes it all the better when you win,” Prosser said.

Since it’s such an individual sport, wrestlers know that everything is on them, and it makes it that much more important to perform.

“I have been happy with my season so far. I have had some big wins that have boosted my confidence, and some tough losses that have shown me things that I need to improve on. Which is good because I’ll need all that when it’s time for the state tournament,” Conaway said.

With such an impressive showing at last year’s state tournament, the boys have some big shoes to fill.

“My goal is to on the medal stand at the state tournament and to go home with a team state trophy,” Prosser said.