• The last day of school is Tuesday, May 21, dismissal at 1:00.

Golf team working hard; getting prepared for the post season

The spring sport season is in full swing, and the golf team has been practicing hard for the more than ten matches in which they compete.

“The best part about golf is getting to play nine holes everyday after school, and getting out of school for the day to play in tournaments,” junior Mike Miller said.

The team practices at Oak Meadow country club everyday (depending on the weather), a short way out off highway BB. In addition to practice, Rolla hosted two matches this year.

“Not a lot of students come [to the matches]; it’s usually just parents that show up,” Miller said.

Last week at the Ozark Conference Tournament, Rolla placed sixth out of ten teams with a combined team score of 345. All-conference honorees are decided a little differently than those for other sports.

“To get All-Conference, you have to place in the top ten at the Conference tournament, which Michael Steelman did,” senior David Drewniak said.

As the district tournament has arrived this week for the golf team, the state tournament is on the horizon, and the golfers look to go far.

“This year I want to make it to state, be all-district, and be all-section. This year we’ve been better than last year, we had more medalists and placers. Our top players are about as good as they’ve been in previous years, but this year I feel like the whole team is stronger,” Drewniak said.