Hazards put motorcyclists in danger on the road

When stepping into a vehicle, the risk of an accident or death becomes increasingly higher. But even with that, four wheels and access to a seatbelt make cars and trucks (called cages in the motorcycle world) a much safer form of transportation compared to other travel mediums. But for motorcycle riders, the risk of being in an accident is incredibly higher and there are only so many precautions that can be taken to ensure a rider’s safety. A safe driving environment for motorcycle riders and surrounding vehicles alike requires a higher focus of attention and awareness from both.

“I don’t think people know a lot about [driving with motorcycles]. They don’t expect a bike to be anywhere near them. On the interstate, diesel trucks don’t look for you. They’ll run you off the road. There are a lot of fatalities because drivers that are in vehicles don’t look for bikes. We’re out there. Always check and make sure there’s nothing coming up beside you.  Bikes will just pop-up out of nowhere, but please be careful. We don’t need any more fatalities,” senior Ryan Fowler, previous owner of a Kawasaki 250 Ninja, said.

On the road, motorcycles seem to appear out of nowhere. In order to provide a safe driving environment for cars and motorcycles, it takes responsibility from both drivers and riders.

”It’s both [motorcycle riders and car drivers fault for accidents], because riders put themselves in that position. I’m usually very weary of [other drivers on the road]. If I see a car turning, and they’re about to pull out – I usually move to the right side just in case they do come over or they don’t see me. Just be watchful of [motorcycles], especially sport bike riders because we have that kind of obnoxious reputation. Some people just think that we’re douchebags, but some people have hit motorcycles on purpose because they don’t like them.  It’s like the turtle game, ‘Let’s hit it for fun.’ But it’s 50/50 on that,” senior Jacob Deen, owner of a Kawaski Ninja 250 and a Yamaha R6, said.

However, senior Hayden Nielsen, owner of a Hyosung GT650 Comet, says that some motorcycle accidents are caused by unawareness by car drivers of how to share the road with motorcycles.

“People just don’t understand motorcycles too well. They either cut you off or just don’t see you. They jump to conclusions, think you’re going to turn. They’re not too aware of what [is] happening. They need to look at it like a car, it’s on two wheels with no windows and more dangerous. I’m sure there [are] videos out there. Just take five minutes, [get] a little Motorcycle Awareness 101,” Nielsen said.

There are many precautions a motorcycle rider can take to avoid an accident. Whether it be particular weather or heavy traffic, riders must have an intense awareness of their surroundings.

“[The] best times [are] clear skies, not too windy. [The] worst times are [during] the rain [and] you definitely don’t want to ride in the winter,” Nielsen said.

As stated before, Fowler is a previous owner of a motorcycle due to an accident in inclimate weather.

“I’ve been in a lot of close calls, unfortunately [I was] in an accident just two months ago – which caused major dislocation in my hip. I was going out to my girlfriend’s house for dinner [while] it was raining.  I came around a curve too fast and I went off the road. [I] went about 200 feet and I hit a drainage ditch. [I] caught air, road the bike all the way through the air and got thrown 60 feet from the bike and ended up in someone else’s driveway,” Fowler said.

While motorcycles owners generally ride alone, there are certain times of the year throughout the country that riders from different backgrounds and walks of life gather together for the sake of the ride. Senior Ethan Koehler, owner of a Suzuki RF900R, rode in the infamous “Ride of the Century” in St. Louis, Missouri.

“[Ride of the Century] was amazing, [there were] over 7,000 riders. We gathered in downtown St. Louis [and] lined up right where the arch is. When we took off, we stopped traffic in downtown St. Louis. All cars were stopped; police were trying to stop us. This year [the ride] was [only] an hour and forty minutes because of the police. The police blocked off two interstates and eight different roads,” Koehler said.

Even though bystanders and observers could say that the police were only doing their job, there are rumors and eyewitnesses of police brutality during “Ride of the Century.”

“They were arresting people. There’s a video on the news where a police officer actually hit another motorcycle with his car. There are many pictures on the internet with a police officer having a gun out on a motorcyclist. I talked to another guy up there and had two of his bikes impounded because they didn’t have tags on them. But they were in the back of his truck. So they actually pulled him over, and took his bikes and impounded them. It’s just ridiculous. They went over the top with it this year,” Koehler said.

The St. Louis and surrounding county police officers weren’t the only obstacles during the 7,000 member ride. Citizens were also aggravated by the high count of motorcycles affecting traffic and roadways.

“People were mad. I stopped and got gas, and three people started yelling at me just because they were so angry. You would be too, if you’re trying to get to work and all of a sudden 7,000 motorcyclists – disobeying traffic laws, driving on the side of the road and doing tricks – stop you,” Koehler said.

There are obvious ways to prevent accidents and arrests on a motorcycle, but taking your time learning the ways of the ride is the only way to become an experienced motorcycle owner and driver.

”It takes a lot of balance. Most people get on and assume that you just turn, but there’s a lot of leaning, shifting, and acceleration,” Koehler said.

Don’t forget almost all motorcycle brands and dealers offer an assortment of clothes to ensure a safer and more comfortable ride.

“Wear the protective gear. [Wear] a helmet, long pants, [and] heavy jacket if it’s needed. If you’re going to get a bike, don’t get something that’s too big for you because it’s a lot of power. Don’t be stupid,” Fowler said.