Journey to freedom, family, first seat

Mi familia translates into “my family” in Spanish. Ma famille is French. meine Familie is German. familiae meae is Latin. But for about 200 students, “my family” translates into “the band.”

“The band is like a family because when you spend that much time together, you automatically get close to each other. You make a ton of new friends every year, and since you’re all working towards the same goal, you have the same passions, which automatically makes you closer. It’s pretty cool how it all happens, because you start each season not knowing around sixty people, and then by the end of band camp you feel like you’ve all been together your whole life. It’s hard to explain, but that is definitely what it feels like,” senior clarinet section leader Payton Powell said.

And much like a family, the band has its different members. Band directors John Slowensky, or Slow, and Michael Goldschmidt, or G, would be the parents, the drum majors would be “older siblings” as drum major senior Destiny Dvorak would say, and each section would be like a child, which could also be broken up in the same way the entire band would be. “A family inside the band family” as Powell would call it.

“Every section has it’s personality, and the clarinets are definitely the crazy but passionate ones. For the most part, our personalities are similar in that we all have a crazy side, but we all really enjoy band and can be serious and put in the work needed. We all get along pretty well and laugh at each other’s jokes,” Powell said.

Where does the color guard and color guard coach Molly Slowensky, or as the guard calls her, Mrs. Molly, fit into this tightly knitted family? They are the cousins and the aunt, as they see themselves as a family alongside the band.

“The guard is like a family because every single one of the girls on the team are so unique but everyone seems to get along so well,” sophomore color guard member Alex Sapaugh said.

And together as a whole, the band and the guard make up this year’s show, “Journey to Freedom.” As the title might tell, the show is one showing patriotic themes throughout the whole show, and some surprising patriotic tricks.

“[There are tons] of interesting details in our show, like the Armed Forces Theme songs and familiar ‘American’ themes.  The color guard and percussion also add extra special visual design qualities that take our band into the ‘drill sergeant’ mentality and emotion,” Slowensky said. “We also spell out the words ‘freedom’ and ‘America’ in our closer as well as form the American flag at the end of the show [which I think is] pretty cool.”

Slowensky is not the only person excited about the patriotic band show. The entire band is excited to perform such an honorable show.

“I really like this year’s show because it has a purpose to it. The last three years’ shows were more just for entertainment and fun for us and the audience, but this one gets a point across. It’s filled with emotions, gives you goose bumps, and leaves you with a feeling of pride for your country for all we’ve overcome and accomplished because of people giving their lives for the cause. ‘Journey to Freedom’ is definitely my favorite of the four shows I’ve done because it’s the first  one with a real purpose,” Powell said.

Students from towns known for the armed forces are especially proud of this year’s band show.

“This year’s show is great because it honors the many veterans we have in our community, and all who are currently serving. It is a special and unique show. I am from Bremerton, WA, home of the Knights. Bremerton is a Navy town and they never even considered a patriotic show. Most marching shows are similar to each other, but this one is unique and it will be remembered for years,” junior saxophone section leader Austin Vandegriffe said.

But no matter how great the concept behind the show is, without hard work, the show itself cannot be great.

“Being in band is a lot of hard work because of all the time and energy it takes. You start out each season with one week of five  seven to ten hour days, each day being spent working to get the show going, then three months of two hour long morning rehearsals,  plus one three hour evening rehearsal a week, then football games and competitions. Competitions take up a whole day so when you have homework that weekend, you know you’re going to be spending your whole Sunday doing it. This all may not sound like a lot, but when you take into consideration homework, clubs, and other sports, you’re left with basically no free time or sleep.  Band is definitely worth it though because it’s a ton of fun and having a second family is priceless. Plus all the work and sleep deprivation pays off when October hits and you have competitions, and when you make finals,” Powell said.

Making finals is something that the band members talk about their entire high school career. From being in Lafayette to Frances Howell, finals are memories made for a lifetime, and they don’t even have to be winning ones.

“One of the best memories I have is getting second place at Francis Howell. Winning isn’t everything, but knowing all the hard work paid off made it mean so much more,” senior head drum major Abby Perona said.

Winning might be in the band’s near future, however. In the Washington competition, this year, the band is seated first, meaning that they are the judges top pick for winning this year.

Win or lose, first or second, no matter what, the band will always be “familia,” “familla,”  “Familia” and “familiae” to its members.