iPads, Netbooks roll into classes

Many technological advancements are still being made throughout the school. The old equipment is being renovated and new equipment is being added to the building.

“Fifteen classrooms now have an interactive projection. This turns a white regular marker board into a smart board like surface, so that only the projector is needed rather than a smart board device. It operates with usage of a special marker pen,” Instructional Technical Facilitator Brenda Spurgeon said.

New types of equipment are being introduced to the IT Tech Classrooms to see what benefits students in a learning environment.

“The five teachers in the IT Tech Classrooms are: Lueck, Rose, Hammond, Warnke and Day. They are a part of the IT mobile device academy pilot project evaluating effectiveness of technology in classrooms. All of their classrooms have the Lumen Ladibug 190 document cameras that allow teachers to direct project images directly from an object or document. They can record videos through their document cameras and capture images too,” Spurgeon said.

The IT Tech Classrooms also are testing new methods of teaching with the availability of recording video lessons.

“They also have a built in sound system and wireless microphones. This will allow them to create video lessons for students who were absent or chose to review the material,” Spurgeon said.

The new technological advancements include testing technology by the hands of students.

“There is an iPad cart and netbook cart that will be shared among the five classrooms brought over within the next week. Teachers will be using district provided apps for note taking, research and fact memorization,” Spurgeon said.

Administrators are also incorporating technology in their regular schedule.

“Five of our teachers plus administrators have iPads. The administrators are using their iPads for walk through evaluations. For teacher evaluations, they can keep notes on iPads rather than writing them down on pen and paper,” Spurgeon said.

Technological advancements are still in the works throughout the school.

“One new computer lab, in room 231, will open by the end of the month,” Spurgeon said.

The building will still continue going through technology changes for a few months until all the new advancements are added and working. Overall, the goal is to have technology incorporated into the learning system while maintaining a balanced environment for students to learn.